Growing up, the notes on my report card always went something like this: “Michelle is a great student, but she talks too much in class.”
My teachers weren’t wrong. I was a rule-abiding Honor Roll student who absolutely loved school. But I couldn’t shut up if I tried.
Now I realize that it’s not the act of talking that thrills me – it’s relationship building. And it’s in deep, meaningful, even random conversation where genuine respect and love are gained.
But with all of the technology available to us – FaceTime, Instagram, texting, etc. – it’s becoming more challenging for us to connect on that deeper level. Which is why I’ve turned to conversation starters and think you should, too.
Whether you’re looking to strike up a meaningful conversation with a stranger, a colleague, or a loved one, scroll down. Below you’ll find 75+ excellent conversation starters for couples, kids, and even strangers.
Conversation Starters for Adults:
- What’s your story?
- Are there any causes you care about?
- Any fun projects you’re working on right now?
- What are you currently obsessing over?
- If you could do anything, what would you do for work?
- What brings you here today?
- How’s your day/week/life been? (Get them to go beyond “good”.)
- Are there any shows or movies you’ve seen lately that you love?
- Tell me about your ring/bag/jacket.
- I love your _____! I have it too. (Take the commonality and run with it!)
Pin this post on Pinterest so you never lose it!
Conversation Starters for Kids:
- Who is your best friend and why?
- If you could be an animal, which one would you be and why?
- What is something you’re good at?
- When you grow up, what do you want to be?
- Share something you love about your family.
- Do you have any pets?
- What are you thankful for?
- What are you looking forward to this week/month/season/year?
- Would you rather _____ or _____? (Make up a few variations!)
- What’s your absolute favorite meal and why?
Conversation Starters for Work:
- What do you do that’s not actually part of your job title?
- Can I ask your advice about _____?
- How did you end up at your job?
- What project are you most proud to have worked on?
- What are your favorite happy hour or lunch spots?
- Do you have any vacations planned this year?
- What do you do for fun?
- What are some things you’d consider yourself loyal to?
- Do you think technology has helped people connect, or do you think it’s pushed people apart?
- What’s changed, for better or worse, since you started working here?
Conversation Starters for Couples:
- What’s your ideal vacation look like?
- What life experiences do you feel like you missed out on?
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
- Do you have any irrational fears? What are they?
- What are your favorite simple pleasures?
- Is there anything about your life right now you’d like to change? If so, what?
- What absolutely repulses you?
- Describe your perfect life.
- What area(s) of your life could you afford to simplify?
- Name your top 5 personal values.
- What’s your favorite romantic gesture?
- What seemed normal in your family when you were a kid, but seems weird now?
- Is there anything you’re self-conscious about? What is it?
- What don’t you do anymore that you used to love?
- What’s a question you wish people would ask more often?
Conversation Starters for Families:
- What’s one thing you’d never eat? And the one thing you couldn’t live without eating?
- What was the best part of your day?
- What are three things you’re grateful for today?
- What’s your least favorite chore and why?
- If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
- What makes you feel loved?
- What’s one kind thing you did today? If nothing, what’s one kind thing you could do tomorrow?
- What’s your favorite season and why?
- What’s something you really want to accomplish this year?
- What makes you feel happy?
- If you could be the best in the world at something, what would it be and why?
- Describe yourself in 5 words.
- What’s your favorite memory?
- If you could travel back in time, where would you go?
- What are you looking forward to doing most this week?
Conversation Starters for Friends and Family [Those Closest to You]:
- What’s a controversial opinion you have but still stand by? (Confirm it’s a no judgement zone!)
- What’s your biggest regret?
- How do you view our relationship?
- What do you think makes you a good person?
- How can I be the best friend/sister/daughter I can to you?
- What’s something not many people know about you?
- What’s the best thing you cook or bake?
- If I handed you $50 right now, what would you buy with it?
- When was the last time you laughed so hard you cried?
- Where do you want to be 10 years from now?
- What makes you weird?
- Was the most recent book you’ve read good? What was it about? (PS: These self help books are awesome!)
- What’s the best part of your daily routine?
- What did you aspire to be when you were a kid?
- Share the best compliment you could ever receive and why?
At the end of the day, people love chatting about themselves. Any conversation starter is a good one if you get them to open the lines of communication.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading my little lifestyle blog. Come back soon!