In my family, the holiday season just wouldn’t be the same without a glass of my dad’s authentic coquito.
If you’re not familiar, coquito is a traditional Puerto Rican beverage similar to eggnog. It features coconut flavoring, a little bit of rum, and touches of cinnamon and vanilla!
Yes, it’s as amazing as it sounds, but not all coquito is created equal!
My dad’s authentic coquito recipe is the best of the best, and I’m not being biased. People legit ask him to buy it by the bottle.
And now, as a Christmas gift to all of us, he’s given me permission to share it here on the blog! 😉
That said, scroll down for Papa Lou’s easy and authentic coquito recipe.
This recipe can contain alcohol. When alcohol is used, it should only be consumed by those 21 years of age and older. Please drink responsibly!
Additionally, this post includes affiliate links from partners like Amazon Associates and LTK. If you click on one and make a purchase, we could earn commission. This comes at no expense to you as the buyer, but it keeps this blog alive. Thank you in advance for your support!
Authentic Coquito Recipe Ingredients:
The quantities below will render approximately 6 liters of coquito.
- 1 half gallon of rum (Optional for those 21+ only.)
- 3 cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 6 cans of cream of coco
- 6 cans of evaporated milk
- 6 Eggs
- Vanilla extract
Authentic Coquito Recipe Supplies:
- 6, 1-liter bottles…or whatever glass bottles you prefer. Just make sure you have enough storage space for 6 liters of liquid.
- 1-cup measuring cup
- A spoon or rubber spatula
- Can opener
Authentic Coquito Recipe Assembly Instructions
Blend the Coquito Ingredients:
Add all of the ingredients below into a blender and liquify.
Once the mixture is smooth and creamy it’s ready for bottling.
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1/2 can of condensed milk
- 1 can of cream of coco
- 1 cup of rum (Optional for those 21; We use Bacardi.)
- 1 cap of vanilla extract
- 2 dashes of cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk (no whites)
Bottle the Coquito:
This is pretty self explanatory, but here are a few things to note:
- We store our coquito in glass bottles. You can make these look extra pretty and festive by purchasing custom Christmas bottle labels on Etsy.
- Use a funnel to transfer the mixture as it’s very sticky and messy.
- Only pour the mixture to the neck of each bottle as the coquito will expand and separate.
- Refrigerate the coquito until it’s ready to be served.
Repeat the Steps Above:
Repeat the blending and bottling process until all of the ingredients have been used.
Share This Authentic Coquito Recipe!
This authentic coquito recipe is meant for sipping and sharing. Keeping that in mind, here are some tips to maximize enjoyment:
- Shake each bottle to re-combine the ingredients before serving.
- Serve the coquito in small cocktail glasses over ice.
And there you have it, an authentic coquito recipe in just 3 easy steps.
I hope you enjoy it, and if you make it please let me know! I’m excited to hear what you think.
Once again, here are the links to most of what we used for this recipe…
Before you go, be sure to check out some of my other holiday posts including:
- Gifts for Men Under $10 (25+ Shoppable Ideas)
- Christmas Gifts for Him and Her (Ideas for All Couples)
- The Best Beauty Gifts Under $50 – Christmas Gifts for Her
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading. Come back soon!